You have to see how I made these DIY Burlap Baskets using Plastic Dollar Store Bins. My DIY project began when I was looking for some baskets to fit on a low shelf and could not find any that worked so I decided to make my own. The problem with the shelving unit we owned was every basket or bin I tried was either too big or too small. I originally wanted a galvanized bin (like these, which I bought but ended up using in our mudroom) but then I tried some plastic Dollar Tree bins (I use them to organize closets in our home) and they fit perfectly! The problem was how ugly they were. So that’s how I came up with the solution to add burlap fabric. Keep reading for the DIY tutorial!
Paint for plastic (optional)
1.Paint the baskets if you choose to paint. The only baskets I found in stores at the time were red so I painted mine a gray color (I only painted the tops and bottoms to make this a quick project).
2. Cut the burlap fabrics in strips to size. You want to wrap the fabric around the bin, leave enough overhang (about 1 inch) for the bottom if you can.
3. Once you have the fabric cut, use your glue gun to adhere the fabric to the corners of the basket. You will want to have the edge of the fabric come up under the lip of the top and the fold the bottom under. I didn’t have enough fabric to fold under the bottom so the bottom edge on mine meets the bottom of the basket.
4. Add labels if desired. Be sure to check out my printable organization labels available HERE. You can see close up the paint is not perfect but I like that look. If you want a cleaner look then choose baskets in your prefered color so you don’t need to paint.
I use these baskets to hold children’s books, DVDs, magazines, and children’s electronic devices.
A FEW OTHER IDEAS FOR USING THESE MINI WREATHS IN YOUR HOME:
- Use to organize on open pantry (grab my printable pantry labels HERE)
- Organize kid’s toys
- Use in a mudroom (grab my printable entryway labels HERE)
- Organize craft supplies
- Use to organize a linen closet (grab my printable linen closet and bathroom labels HERE)
- The possibilities are endless!
If you are looking for a way to save money on expensive baskets to display in your home, try making these DIY burlap dollar store bins!
Psssssttt… Want more inspiration delivered directly to your inbox? Subscribe to our FREE weekly newsletter! We provide simple ideas for Organizing, Handmade Projects, Crafts, Home Decor and more! Hurry up and sign up here!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links or a sponsored post. All opinions are always 100% mine and I don’t partner with any product or company that I don’t use and love. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information.