We had so much rain in the DC area last week from Hurricane Joaquin (and literally no sun for 10 days straight) that we were living in our rain coats, rain boots and umbrellas. Well, not me because my commute to and from work consists of parking in one garage and driving to another garage… I guess that is one positive aspect to my commute!
So back to the rain… it was so annoying having Rocky come in from outside soaking wet after doing his business so my Mr. asked me if I could make him a coat. It seems that whenever my husband asks me if I can make something that it is almost like a challenge… um yeah, of course I can make a dog coat! I’ve never made one before but now I’ve been challenged!
I didn’t want to leave the house to buy supplies (that would mean driving in the rain and spending money, not a fan!) so I brainstormed what materials I had on hand to make this work. Then I remembered that I cleaned out our coat closet (in preparation for fall/winter) and I had a couple of old jackets that were in the donation pile… one of which was water repellent. Score! It was lined too so I planned to used the lining for extra warmth 🙂
I grabbed some newspaper and wrapped a page around Rocky, eyeing where I wanted the pattern to wrap around his neck and belly. My pattern basically resembled a cape, haha, Super Dog. I think I’m going to make him a cape now, lol.
I cut my pattern and pinned the lining to the material so everything stayed in place. I was worried that I was going to need to dig up some velcro to attach to the fabric around the neck and belly but when I was cutting the jacket, I noticed these velcro attachments on the back waist – Another score!
Here is the jacket folded on it’s side with the strips of velcro,
This jacket was looking kind of blah so I decided to dig through my sewing bin for some bias tape. I found pink, white or yellow… hmm, I guess yellow was probably the best choice for a male dog, lol. The bias tape that I had was a little too wide so I cut it in half and flattened/ironed again.
It didn’t look perfect but who cares, it was for the dog, haha. He is probably going to gnaw on it anyway. Once I had the bias tape attached I added the Velcro straps. This project took me about 2 hours.
Rocky seemed to really like his jacket, which made me feel like it wasn’t a total waste of 2 hours of my precious time 🙂
Here is the jacket laid flat with the lining facing up.
It was really hard to take pictures of Rocky because he wouldn’t stay still!
This one is my favorite. You can see how much bigger he is from just a few months ago here.
If you enjoyed this post, consider sharing so others may also enjoy it. Sharing buttons are below!
(Disclaimer: Affiliate links are included in this post. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information).