Hello hello! I’m so happy that we FINALLY have warmer weather in Virginia 🙂 I’ve been wearing booties the entire month of May because it rained every day 🙁 Are you excited that the sun is out, the pools are open and you can finally wear those Spring clothes that you planned to wear last month? Haha! Today I’m sharing how to create a 10 item summer wardrobe capsule… in addition to my favorite wardrobe basics.
I used 10 items and created 16 looks! These 10-items are perfect to take on a long summer vacation. Pack light and get more wear out of your clothes! Reduce the amount of time it takes you to get ready by reducing the items in your closet!
Start wearing your summer wardrobe items when the weather allows for it. Be sure to read my 10-item Spring wardrobe capsule and how reducing your wardrobe to only 10-items will change your life! These looks may seem very minimalist – that’s because it is! Neutrals in your wardrobe give you more outfit combinations but there are lots of colors that serve as neutrals – try adding olive green, light pink or blue in your capsule for more color variation.
There are 3 major reasons why I urge others to start a wardrobe capsule:
- To reduce a number of items you own
- Simplify your life (less laundry, less time deciding what to wear)
- Reduce the amount of money spent buying (too many) clothes
I find various ways each season to save money if I’m adding a few key pieces to my capsule – I use Ebates, online store coupons deals, American Express points, ThredUp. Although I sometimes I end up paying full price… but surprisingly, paying full price for higher-quality items is still saving me money compared to how I used to shop!
I suggest to keep things simple with a basic core wardrobe while adding some key seasonal items – and that’s where this 10-item wardrobe capsule comes into play!
With only 10 pieces from my summer capsule, I was able to create 16 looks. Once I add in my core basics, I will have enough outfit combinations to last for the rest of summer. Below is a list of the 10 items that I used and some of my favorite items in my capsule along with how I wore them.
One of my most favorite items in my closet for summer is a white linen shirt dress (similar). This dress is versatile to wear casual, formal or as a vest! This dress is also lined and the buttons don’t pop out when you sit down (like many other shirt dresses I tried to find this season).
1 Dress, 4 Ways…
Chambray is a versatile fabric and I love these chambray shorts. They are not like typical jean shorts, so you can easily bring them from day to night. They are also very forgiving with a drawstring at the waist, unlike many denim shorts.
Off-the-shoulder tops and dresses are really big this season and I like this shirt because I can wear it off the shoulder or on the shoulder for a completely different look.
This sleeveless romper is perfect for the pool, beach and backyard BBQs.
I decided to take a chance with some culottes this season – they resemble a midi skirt with the wide leg. They remind me of gauchos, which are super comfy! They seriously feel like pajama pants! They are perfect for traveling on long trips and fold well in suitcases 🙂
I’ve had this beige midi-circle skirt for years (similar) it never goes out of style! It’s easy to wear dressy or casual.
The nude heels (similar) and with a coupon and “store cash,” I got them for free 🙂 I love the way they go from day to night and can be professional for the office. I love my Birkenstocks – I practically live in them during summer! They are super comfy for lots of summer adventures!
One of my favorite accessories (not pictured) this summer is a neck scarf – I’ve been tying one around my wrist, in my hair (like a headband) or around my neck. You can also tie it to your purse as flare 😉 Try this red, white and blue one for patriotic flare.
Below is the full list of the 10 pieces that I added to my summer wardrobe capsule. If you are just starting a wardrobe capsule or follow a capsule method, I would love to hear how the process benefits you! Be sure to follow our Pinterest Summer Wardrobe Capsule board for more summer inspiration.
- Linen shirt dress – Similar
- Chambray shorts – Here
- Off-the-shoulder top – Similar
- Sleeveless romper – Similar
- Cullotes (wide-leg cropped pants) – Similar
- Beige circle skirt – old from GAP, Similar
- Lace yoke tank – Similar
- Chambray shirt – Here
- Nude Heels – Similar
- Birkenstocks – Here
Accessories pictured that I use year-round:
- Reversible Faux Leather Tote and Wristlet – Here
- Anne Klein Clutch – old from Macy’s
- Beaded Tassle Necklace – old from Macy’s
- Silver Locket Necklace – family heirloom
- Floppy Straw Hat – Similar
- Colorful Beaded Necklace – gift
I’m including my favorite wardrobe basics below in case you were wondering if I only wear these 10-items all season long. I try to keep my capsule for each season around 30-40 items with core basic items while carrying over the items from my spring capsule (all listed below!).
- Striped Dress – Here or Here (striped or polka dot dresses in neutral colors go with everything)
- Black Maxi Dress – Here or Here
- Striped Shirt – Here or Here
- White Shell – Here
- Relaxed gray Tee – Here or Here (dress this up with a statement necklace or pretty scarf)
- Graphic Tee – Here
- Chambray Button Down – Here (goes with everything-I wear to work with blazers for a Business Professional look)
- White Button Down – Here (goes with anything and can dress up or down)
- Crewneck Sweater or Sweatshirt – Here
- White Jeans – here
- Boyfriend Jeans – Here
- Black Joggers – Here (dress these up with heels or keep casual with sneakers)
- Black Skirt – Here
- Boyfriend Blazer – Here (choose a neutral color for versatility)
- Olive Jacket – Here
- Denim Jacket – Here
- Neck Scarf – Here or Here
- Patterned Over-Sized Scarf in neutral colors – Here (wear as a beach cover-up, infinity scarf, shrug, etc)
- Statement Necklace – Here or Here
- Statement Earrings – Here
- Reversible Faux Leather Tote and Wristlet – Here (I use this daily even though it’s the only non-named brand handbag that I own!)
Creating amazing looks from just a few select pieces doesn’t have to be difficult. I hope you are inspired to try minimizing your wardrobe after reading this post and would love to hear how it’s changed your life!
Psssssttt…Right now I’m offering a FREE 3-Day Course to Organize your Kitchen FOR GOOD! The free course includes instructions, tips and pictures for how to de-clutter, simplify and organize your kitchen in only 3-days! Hurry up and sign up here! (Course instructions will be sent after subscribing)
If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider sharing so others may enjoy it. Sharing buttons are below!
(Disclaimer: Affiliate links are included in this post. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information).