These DIY Dollar Store Farmhouse Signs are going to blow you away! These are not your typical Farmhouse signs but they sure look like them! The secret is that all materials cost less than $1 to make these signs (minus the Cricut design). I posted a picture of these signs on Instagram recently and everyone went wild for the plain sign with the hanging wreath on it. I also plan to hang a Christmas stocking on these… the possibilities are endless! Keep reading for how to make these DIY Dollar Store Crafts Farmhouse Signs!
I’m frugal AF so I got creative and made these amazing farmhouse signs using Dollar Store supplies and was IN-LOVE with how they turned out. I knew I had to share this idea with others… If you don’t have a lot of money to spend on home decor or don’t have access to tools and supplies to build your own wooden farmhouse signs, you are going to LOVE this tutorial.
The only other thing that I used that you may not own is my Cricut Machine. In the video below I share how I used my Cricut machine to cut vinyl images which I used as a paint transfer and I just applied the vinyl directly to the foam board.
The SVG images used on my signs are from DesignBundels.net. I chose Christmas designs since I’m getting ready to decorate for the holidays but you can make these using any design!
A few other ways around using a Cricut machine are:
- Download your favorite image, print, and cut by hand
- Use a Stencil
- Hand-letter or draw the image by hand
- Ask a friend with a Cricut/Silhouette machine to cut a decal for you
- Print your favorite image and glue to the foam board, then frame over the top so you don’t see it’s printed
I know those ideas will not yield the same result as the signs shown in this post, however, you might be surprised!
If you are thinking about getting a Cricut machine, the #1 question I get asked ALL the time is which machine to buy. I always recommend the Cricut Explore Air 2. My friends are always sending me second-hand sales listings of OLD Cricut machines (and I mean VINTAGE, lol) and ask if those are good machines. The Cricut Explore, Cricut Explore Air, and Cricut Explore Air 2 are all great starter machines.
If you have any other questions about Cricut, just leave a comment below 🙂
How to make the DIY Dollar Store Farmhouse Signs:
- Dollar Store Foam Board (I picked up both white and black foam boards)
- Box Cutter
- Large Paint Sticks (found mine in the paint section at Home Depot 3/$1)
- Hand Saw (OR you can use the one in Home Depot)
- Wood Stain (I used Briar Smoke)
- Tacky Glue (I love this glue and use it for everything!)
- Rope (optional – if you are making the “scroll” version – You can also find this at the Dollar store in the floral section)
- Cricut Explore Machine (optional but helps to make pretty images)
- Gather supplies.
- Cut the paint sticks to remove the curved edge. I used a saw at home but Home Depot has a free cut station in the molding section where you can cut the paint sticks, then purchase 🙂 To make a traditional sign (with all 4 sides framed) you will need to cut 1 paint stick by half.
- Stain the paint sticks. I used Briar Smoke stain.
- Once the stain is dry, use the paint sticks as a guide to determine the size of your sign and cut the foam board.
- I cut the foam boards based on the size of the paint sticks once they were cut. The large sign is approximately 17 x 25 inches. The long sign is approx. 19 x 8.5 inches and the small sign is approx. 11 x 9 inches.
- Use a box cutter to cut the foam board. You can place another foam board beneath it so you don’t cut the surface you are working on.
- Use Tacky glue to attach the paint sticks to the top and bottom of the foam board (if making the “scroll” sign) and attach to all 4 sides if making a traditional sign.
- I used tacky glue and a staple gun to attach the rope at the top of the “scroll” sign so I could hang it. If making a traditional frame with 4-sides, you can use a picture frame hook or sawtooth hanger to hang the sign. Or leave it without a hook and sit on a table 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this DIY Dollar Store Farmhouse Sign tutorial! I’m so excited to make more of these signs!
If you are interested in purchasing one of these signs, please leave a comment below 🙂
Did you make these signs or similar ones? I would love to see yours! Send me a picture on Facebook, Instagram, or email and I’ll share with my followers 🙂
Watch the How-To Video…
Pin it for later…
You might also like…
Psssssttt…Right now I’m offering FREE access to our Digital Resource Library to all of our newsletter subscribers. Your private access includes dozens of free printable crafts, home decor and organization guides. Hurry up and grab your freebies here! (Access instructions are sent after subscribing).
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links or a sponsored post. All opinions are always 100% mine and I don’t partner with any product or company that I don’t use and love. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information.