I love Fall because I know the holidays are around the corner and it’s a time for gathering family and friends. This Thanksgiving I wanted to create one of those Farmhouse Gather signs that you may have seen all over the Internet recently. I decided to create my own unique version, instead of using a stencil on an old board to stencil the word Gather, I salvaged a pallet board and used burlap fabric. Learn how easy it is to make a unique DIY Farmhouse Sign with Burlap Fabric Letters in this tutorial and how-to video below!
This shop has been compensated by BurlapFabric.com. All opinions are mine alone. #GatherFarmhouseSign #BurlapFabricDIY
This 3-D “Gather” sign is perfect for Fall and Thanksgiving decor but also can be displayed year-round as farmhouse style decor. The fabric featured in this post is from www.burlapfabric.com.
DIY Farmhouse Sign with Burlap Fabric Letters
The first thing you need is to determine the type of wood backing to use for your sign.
I used old wood pallet boards for mine because it was free.
If you want to make a similar wood background as mine for your DIY farmhouse sign, see if your local garden center has any old wood pallets they would like to give you for free (it helps if you shop there regularly or offer to purchase something).
Take the pallet apart and cut wood planks to size (my sign measures 26″ x 18″). I laid the planks together to form a sign and used 2 planks and a nail gun to keep the boards together (see more instruction in the video below).
The other option is to go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and ask them to cut a piece of wood (plywood should do) at 26″ x 18″ measurements.
Paint in your color choice (I choose a bright white to make the burlap color pop). If you plan to hang the sign, you can drill holes at the top or nail wall hanging hooks to the back (I did both but used the hooks to hang it).
Once you have the wood ready, you can start making the Burlap Fabric Letters.
If you have a Cricut Explore Machine or Cricut Maker Machine, I’m including a link so you can make-it-now for the “Gather” letters but if you don’t have a Cricut, just print the free printable stencil and cut by hand (as shown in the video).
- (1) 24 x 24 Burlap Square from BurlapFabric.com
- (6) 12 x 12 Chipboard
- (3) White Cardstock – medium weight (to print the stencil on)
- Sharp Scissors
- Free Printable Stencil (get it below) or Link to Cricut Make-it-Now
1. Gather supplies. I used burlap fabric, medium-weight chipboard, and a stencil. Watch the video below for more instructions!
2. Cut the letter stencils so you can arrange the letters to spell “gather.”
3. Stencil each letter 3 times (each) on the chipboard then cut out each letter (you should have a total of 4 letters).
4. Stencil each letter over the burlap fabric. Make sure to iron your fabric to remove any creases. Be very careful cutting each letter. If the fabric rips or falls apart, make the cut wider or gently piece back together (see the video for more instruction).
5. Glue all the layers together so the burlap layer is on top and the cardstock stencil is on the bottom.
6. Give each burlap letter a “haircut” to remove any strands or rough edges.
7. Arrange the letters on the board so they connect then glue to the board.
8. Add hooks to the back or drill holes in the top with string/rope if you plan to hang it.
This rustic farmhouse sign is a classic piece of artwork to add to your home decor to easily create farmhouse style. This farmhouse DIY is unique because it is made by hand cutting chipboard and burlap fabric to create a 3D effect. Try making this simple DIY using the quality materials you get from BurlapFabric.com. Don’t forget to get $5 off any purchase of $5 or more at www.burlapfabric.com by using the code SIMPLEMADEPRETTY5 (expires 12/31/17 so use it now!)
Watch the how-to video to make the Burlap Fabric Letters Farmhouse Sign!
Grab the Free Printable Stencil to make the Gather sign!
If you are new to the Simple Made Pretty Community, you’ll need to sign up below to gain access to my private digital resource library where I house all of my free printable crafts, decor, checklists, & more in one convenient place!
Welcome back! If you’ve already subscribed to Simple Made Pretty, just check your last email from me with the password to log into the library below (the instructions are sent in every email I send).
All free printables are for personal use only. Pinning is always welcome and appreciated!
You might also like…
Psssssttt…Right now I’m offering FREE access to our Digital Resource Library to all of our newsletter subscribers. Your private access includes dozens of free printable crafts, home decor and organization guides. Hurry up and grab your freebies here! (Access instructions are sent after subscribing).
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links or a sponsored post. All opinions are always 100% mine and I don’t partner with any product or company that I don’t use and love. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information.