Have you seen scrunchies for sale at local clothing stores recently? I used to wear scrunchies as a kid in the 80’s and 90’s and my mom used to sew them to match my outfits. I was excited to see fabric hair scrunchies back in stores (and in style) because now I have a daughter who can scrunchies in her hair or a scrunchy on her wrist. Keep reading to learn How To Make A Scrunchy in this how to sew scrunchies tutorial!
If you ever wondered how to sew scrunchies or how to make a hair scrunchy or how to sew a bow srunchy, you will love this tutorial! The best part of this tutorial is that I made these DIY hair scrunchies using my Cricut Maker Machine which made several scrunchies at once! I literally had 20+ scrunchies cut and sewed in an hour!
You’ll need a Cricut Maker cutting machine to make this project. Just upload the SVG or PNG in the program you use (I use Cricut Design Space), size, cut, and apply!
If you don’t have a Cricut Maker cutting machine, you can still use the PDF file included in the free zip file and cut by hand!
These DIY hair scrunchies are so easy to make that you will want to make several for all the females in your life!
How to make DIY hair scrunchies:
- Cricut Maker cutting Machine
- 12 x 12 Cricut Fabric Cutting Mat
- SVG file (get it free below or design your own)
- Fabric (I used several fat quarters found here) – 1 fat quarter makes 3 scrunchies!
- Sewing Machine
- Coordinating Thread (I used white thread)
- Elastic (1/4 inch width)
- Gather supplies and watch the video below for more info.
- Iron the fabric to remove any creases.
- Load the fabric on your fabric Cricut mat and cut the images to size (mine was sized 12″ x 3″ for the bow and 14″ x 3″ for the scrunchy)
- Remove cut pieces from the mat and sew the right sides together, leaving the ends of the loop unsewn and a small side in the bow unsewn.
- Turn right side out and iron if needed.
- Cut the 1/4 width elastic to 6.5 inches and slide through the scrunchy loop of fabric.
- Stitch the ends the elastic together.
- Fold the ends of the scrunchy together and sew together. I sewed right over the elastic using my machine.
- Take the bow and tie around the part of the scrunchy where you just stitched (to cover the stitching).
- Iron the bow if needed and you’re done!
I made some scrunchies with a unicorn fabric for my daughter and her friends…
The fabric to make these cost around $0.32 each! I’ve seen them selling for $8-$12 for a pack of 3 at stores so making them yourself is a lot cheaper!
My daughter and her friend loved these unicorn scrunchies!
This how to sew scrunchies tutorial will help you make several scrunchies in no time with a Cricut Maker Machine (or you can just cut by hand). These Handmade hair scrunchies are great gifts and perfect for a beginner sewing project. Download the free file in my library below and start making your own hair scrunchies!
Did you make these scrunchies or similar ones? I would love to see yours! Send me a picture on Facebook, Instagram, or email and I’ll share with my followers 🙂
Watch the How-To Video…
Grab the Free SVG File!
If you are new to the Simple Made Pretty Community, you’ll need to sign up below to gain access to my private digital resource library where I house all of my free printable crafts, decor, checklist, & more in one convenient place!
Welcome back! If you’ve already subscribed to Simple Made Pretty, just check your last email from me with the password to log into the library below (the instructions are sent in every email I send).
Pin it for later…
You might also like…
Psssssttt…Right now I’m offering FREE access to our Digital Resource Library to all of our newsletter subscribers. Your private access includes dozens of free printable crafts, home decor and organization guides. Hurry up and grab your freebies here! (Access instructions are sent after subscribing).
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links or a sponsored post. All opinions are always 100% mine and I don’t partner with any product or company that I don’t use and love. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information.