(Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.)
Hey There! Since we are now in full swing approaching the holidays and Gift-Giving Season, I thought I would share some of the ways that our family saves money (using Amazon) throughout the year – which allows us to splurge during the Holidays. Amazon is great to help save time and money with many benefits (some that you may not be aware that you get with or without an Amazon Prime membership). I sincerely believe that Amazon is attempting to take over the World as the #1 retailer with all the features and benefits that they offer!
Amazon Wish List
Have you started a Holiday Wish List yet? I use Amazon to create Wish Lists for myself and family members throughout the year and refer back to those wish lists when Birthdays, special events and the holidays roll around. This also helps deter us from making spontaneous, unplanned purchases and lets us think about the item before selecting that 1-click payment! Your Amazon Wishlists can be set as Public/Shared/Private… if you are sharing with friends and family, be sure to set as “Shared” (only people with the URL can see the list). Another plus when adding an item to a wishlist is that you can refer back and see when the price drops. I sometimes add a note to my list with the date and price so I can see if it dropped or went up. You can also add an item to your cart and select to “Save for Later” and the items will stay in your cart as Saved until you are ready to purchase.
Amazon Price Matching
Did you know that some of your local retailers will offer to Price Match Amazon’s current rate on the same item? Below are a few stores that will price match with Amazon but if you find an Amazing Deal at Amazon and want to buy from your local store, just check with a store associate to see if they will match, they may be willing to accommodate your request because they would rather have your business (trust me, I worked retail for 10+ years!). I’ve price matched items at Target several times and was able to get products for pennies or Free by stacking Target Store coupons + Manufacture coupons + Amazon price matching. Keep in mind that Amazon’s prices change frequently so if you have your eye on a great deal, move fast!
- Babies R Us
- Best Buy
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Home Depot
- Office Depot
- Toys R Us
Amazon through Ebates
If you don’t have an EBates account and you buy products online, you are missing out on some easy money back offers. Go Here to sign up and they will give you a $10 gift card just for signing up! You get cash back when you sign into your Ebates account and link to available online stores and make a purchase – including Amazon! Um Hello! It’s a No-Brainer to go through Ebates if you are buying from Amazon!
Subscribe and Save
Amazon’s Subscribe and Save feature is great for those “set it and forget it” items that you know you need on a regular basis. When you subscribe an item, Amazon will give you 15% off your order. We use Subscribe and Save primarily for vitamins but there are many products that you can subscribe to save money, including an extra 20% off diapers if you sign up for Amazon Mom (Amazon Prime).
Amazon Gold Box Deals
Amazon’s Holiday 2015 deals started on November 1st. Go Here and sign up to receive daily deals via email, Facebook, Twitter, RSS feed. Or just bookmark this page.
Amazon Prime Membership with Free 2- Day Shipping is one that you just can’t beat starting at $99/year. Amazon offers a Free 30-day trial for the Prime Membership before you commit. Honestly, I don’t know anyone personally that doesn’t already have a membership. You get so many benefits with the Amazon Prime Membership that it is hard to pass up. Even if you already have a membership and have been using it for the Free 2-day shipping alone, you should take advantage of some of the other perks that come with the membership:
- Free 2-Day Shipping – With the option to expedite to overnight for only $2.99! Wow. Although Amazon has moved many items to an “Add-On” catagory (meaning that you can’t purchase something for $2.50 with free 2-day shipping without spending more than $25) but in those cases I just leave the item in my cart or add to my Wish List to purchase later (keep in mind that Amazon’s prices do change frequently).
- Amazon Lightning Deals – 30-minute early access to Lightning Deals on Amazon, and new events on MyHabit.com.
- Amazon Video – Ditch your monthly cable bill add Amazon Video to your streaming devices to watch your favorite TV shows and movies for Free! Amazon Video has some movies to rent or purchase (uploaded to your Video Library) but most of what is available is included with a Prime Membership. We use a Roku to stream but Amazon Fire or any of your mobile devices, computers works to stream Amazon Video. Our family saves an average of $600/year by ditching cable!
- Prime Photos – Both the hubby and I have this app on our phones to automatically upload our Android photos into our Amazon Prime Photo account (in the cloud!). Hassle free to save our precious memories!
- Prime Music – You have an option for a PC download, Mac Download or add the App to your mobile devices. Amazon Music is a bit different than Pandora, IHeartRadio and some other music apps. Some of the Prime Music library has been “recorded” and the song will sound a bit different than the original version. If you remember recording songs from the radio as a kid, you know what I’m talking about. The plus side with the app is the ability to select songs from a list, unlike IHeartRadio which only allows you to skip songs and not see a song list. I listened to a station “I love the 90s” recently and there were songs that brought back memories and I haven’t heard in years!
- Kindle Owner’s Lending Library – Borrow one Kindle book per month for Free on any Kindle Device with no Due date. Here are some of the books you can borrow for Free.
I would love to hear if any of these tips were new or useful to you or if there are other ways that you use Amazon to save money.