We purchased our third home in the Summer of 2018 and one of the biggest selling points was the back yard. The backyard was private with an in-ground pool and felt like a tropical oasis. Although we used the pool a lot, we still had not added anything to make the backyard and outdoor patio feel like “home.” So today I’m sharing 3 DIY Outdoor Decorating Ideas on a Budget that I did to easily update out patio and a few tips on how to create a cozy backyard where you’ll want to be all Summer. I’m also sharing where to find the best outdoor umbrellas since a sunshade will make a big difference in your outdoor space and the desire to spend more time outdoors!
This shop has been compensated by Abba Patio. All opinions are mine alone.
If you’re looking for budget-friendly outdoor decorating ideas and where to find the best outdoor umbrellas, keep reading!
How Can I Decorate My Patio on a Budget?
The first thing I did to decorate our patio on a budget was to clean it up as best as possible. This meant decluttering items no longer needed or used and putting things back where they belong. I knew we needed an umbrella for our outdoor patio so I used our umbrella as the starting point and inspiration for the rest of the outdoor decorations.
After careful research, I chose an offset cantilevered umbrella in dark brown by Abba Patio. I chose this offset umbrella because of the size, function, and reviews on Amazon. I chose a dark brown umbrella because I knew from experience the darker colors will show less dirt over time 😉
We keep the umbrella folded and covered all the time, except when actively in use. This practice protects the umbrella from damage if a storm or higher winds come along.
What is an Offset Umbrella?
An offset or cantilevered umbrella is an umbrella that is suspended in the air by an offset base instead of a traditional umbrella pole that sticks straight up. I chose an offset cantilever umbrella because it’s more versatile, allowing more space and function to our backyard. This umbrella is well priced and available to ship from Amazon.
How to Choose a Patio Umbrella
Amazon has several options for Outdoor Patio Umbrellas but I prefer to buy outdoor umbrellas and accessories from Abba Patio. We have the Abba Patio Rectangular Offset Cantilever Dual Wind Vent Patio Hanging Umbrella with Cross Base, 9 by 12-Feet, Dark Brown in our backyard and it was a great price compared to Outdoor umbrellas at Lowes or Outdoor Umbrellas at Costco. The Abba Patio ready-to-assemble offset umbrella and umbrella base were easy to put together and I look forward to using this umbrella for years to come!
Abba Patio umbrellas are Best Sellers on Amazon and I can see why!
- You can’t beat the price! I looked at outdoor umbrellas for a month and Abba Patio offers the best price.
- High-Quality Materials. The fabric is UV resistant and waterproof. The quality is impeccable and looks great.
- Easy to Install. We assembled and installed the umbrella and umbrella base in less than 30 minutes.
Do I Need an Umbrella Base?
This Abba Patio heavy-duty base is the matching base for the offset cantilevered umbrella. It will take you some time to fill each of the four base ends with sand, but after a few hours of doing that, it will hold down your umbrella very well. I highly recommend investing in the Abba Patio umbrella base if you purchase the offset umbrella. You will rest assured that your umbrella is being supported by the matching umbrella base.
Where To Find The Best Outdoor Umbrella
I found the best outdoor umbrella on Amazon at Abba Patio. We have the Abba Patio Rectangular Offset Cantilever Dual Wind Vent Patio Hanging Umbrella with Cross Base, 9 by 12-Feet, Dark Brown.
This outdoor patio umbrella is high-quality, looks great, and is a good price. This umbrella was extremely affordable and convenient since it shipped directly to my home from a local Amazon warehouse in 2-business days! I was able to put it together in about 30 minutes and had our outdoor patio decorated the same day. This umbrella is made with high-quality materials and designed to withstand wind. I would recommend Abba Patio umbrellas because you will yield better quality than what you get in the big box stores.
Here are more details about this Budget-Friendly Offset Outdoor Umbrella:
- Material: made from a durable fade resistant polyester that will last throughout the years. The fabrics offer 98% UV protection and are very easy to clean
- Aluminum Pole and 8 steel ribs are bronze powder coated by Tiger Dryad, preventing chipping, peeling, rust, and corrosion
- Wind-Resistant: Vented top: the canopy is dual vented for proper airflow and stability
- Easy to Open/Close: The umbrella opens up/closes easily with a crank system. The umbrella also has a 5 position vertical tilt function for an easy angle adjustment
- Cross base included: Weights are not included, Search “B07G34MH9T” to get the matched weights
Now that you know where to find the best outdoor umbrella to decorate your outdoor space, let’s make some easy outdoor decorations!
3 DIY Outdoor Decorating Ideas On A Budget
Want to see my latest DIY videos in Real-Time? Follow me on Instagram and YouTube!
I post lots of “tasty” style videos on my Instagram account… just because it’s easier to share in real-time.
So if you want to be the first to know about my latest and greatest DIY’s and more, I highly encourage you to follow me on Instagram. If you don’t have an Instagram account, it’s really easy to set one up and in my opinion, it’s easier to use than Facebook 😂
Over-Sized Farmhouse Lantern DIY
This oversized lantern cost $8 in supplies to make and adds depth and dimension while providing lighting to your outdoor space. Add a large candle or battery-operated twinkle lights inside for a budget-friendly DIY outdoor decoration.
- 7 Packages of 5-gallon paint sticks (21 total)
- 1 package of regular-sized paint sticks (10 total)
- Gorilla Wood Glue Gun Sticks
- Glue Gun
- Nail Gun or small nails
- Hand Saw
- Exterior Paint or Exterior Wood Stain
- Gather supplies.
- Attach the corners of 2 large paint sticks using the gorilla glue gun and repeat 4 times (to create 4 corners)
- Cut 4 large paint sicks in half and cut the curved end off.
- Use the cut pieces and gorilla glue gun to attach the corners together to create a box.
- Once you have a box, glue 2 large sticks on each side as an “x” in the window.
- Cut 8 small paint sticks to fit the bottom of the lantern. Cut the remaining 2 small paint sticks to create an “x” and glue to the 8 sticks in a row.
- Glue the “floor” of the lantern.
- Use a nail gun or small nails to hold it all together (I nailed each corner and the bottom).
- Paint or stain the lantern your desired color. Use Exterior paint if using outdoors.
- Tie the rope to the top of the lantern to create a handle. I braided my rope to create a thick handle.
- Add a large candle or battery operated lights to the lantern.
Watch the how-to video
Drift Wood Candle Holder DIY
This driftwood candle holder adds an extra touch of coastal decor to your outdoor space. Craft driftwood is inexpensive (or if your lucky enough to find the real thing where you live!) and this coastal candle holder is cute for indoor decor as well!
- Small Glass Vase
- Drift Wood
- Sand (optional)
- Glue Gun or E6000 Glue
- Gather supplies.
- Use a glue gun or E6000 glue to attach the driftwood sticks to the glass vase until the vase is completely covered.
- Use twine to wrap around the vase so any driftwood that doesn’t glue well is still attached to the vase.
- Fill the vase with sand and add a candle.
Watch the how-to video
Chinese Paper Lanterns
Make your own paper lanterns or use inexpensive Chinese paper lanterns to update your outdoor space. Use fun colors and lighting to change the way these lanterns look in your backyard.
- Chinese Paper Lanterns
- Battery Operated Lights (optional)
- Gather supplies.
- Assemble paper lanterns according to the instructions.
- Use twine to hang the lanterns in the center of the umbrella.
- Add battery operated lights to the lanterns (optional).
Quick Outdoor Decorating Tips
- Bring the indoors outside. Bring indoor seating outside if you lack outdoor seating. Add pillows and blankets to your outdoor seating area to create a cozy setting.
- Create a mini drink station. Use a tray to hold drinks or bring a small stool or stand outside to create a minibar.
- Add plants. Even if your backyard has plenty of greenery, adding some flowers or plants will create a tropical, cozy vibe.
Did you make these 3 DIY Outdoor Decorating Ideas On A Budget or similar ones? I would love to see yours! Send me a picture of your creations on Facebook or Instagram and I’ll share with my followers!
Finding the best outdoor umbrella and umbrella base can be frustrating because there are so many options available. The outdoor umbrellas at Lowes and outdoor umbrellas at Costco can be over-priced and you are limited with options. You’ll find the best quality patio umbrellas and outdoor accessories at Abba Patio.
Watch this Video of the Abba Patio Umbrella in action!
Pin it for later…
You might also like…
Psssssttt…Right now I’m offering FREE access to our Digital Resource Library to all of our newsletter subscribers. Your private access includes dozens of free printable crafts, home decor and organization guides. Hurry up and grab your freebies here! (Access instructions are sent after subscribing).
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links or a sponsored post. All opinions are always 100% mine and I don’t partner with any product or company that I don’t use and love. Please see our Full Disclosure for more information.